Louis Franklin Quint
July 17, 1852 - January 19, 1943
Story by Philip George Parsons, April
Photo of Louis Quint, 1876
Louis Franklin Quint, son of Jotham Sewall Quint and Mary
Parker (Tufts) Quint, was born on a farm near Nauvoo, Illinois
the 17th of July 1852. His mother was a direct descendant of the
Tufts family who founded the Tufts College, now well known Tufts
Medical School, at Malden, Massachusetts in 1852. Through
another line she was a direct descendant of Isaac Allerton who
came over in the Mayflower to America in 1620.
When Louis was four years old his mother died, and later
father remarried. He grew to manhood on the same farm on which
he was born and received his common school training in the same
neighborhood, later attending the Ft. Madison Academy and
teaching school for one year. He married Isabel Flora Jackson at
her home in the same neighborhood on March 9, 1876. They started
housekeeping on the farm where he was born, later moving to Iowa,
then to Nebraska. In the spring of 1884 they moved to Mitchell
County Kansas where they purchased a farm, living there until the
spring of 1902.
In 1901 Louis and his oldest son, Clarence, made a trip to
Graham County, Kansas in search of more land. At Hill City they
met Mr. Gantz who had Mr. Howland show them land one mile south
and two miles east near the Solomon River. This farm was to
their liking and they purchased 320 acres.
Photo of Clarence, 1926 The land was
unimproved with only a two-room dugout for living quarters.
However, in the spring of 1902, Louis and Isabell moved with the
family, six girls and two boys, by way of covered wagon, to
Graham County and lived in this house until they could build a
more suitable house.
Having grown up in a land where the trees were abundant,
missed the trees. One of his first projects was to pull one
hundred cottonwood saplings from the banks of the Solomon River
and start a grove west of the house. Years later he was so
thrilled to find a squirrel in his grove to further remind him of
the trees in Illinois.
Photo of Quint farmhouse before being replaced in 1962.
Mr. and Mrs. Quint were known as good neighbors and
wherever they lived. They were industrious, friendly and always
interested in the betterment of the community. Both had taught
school and were always interested in education. They always
believed in having good reading material in the home and for
years subscribed to "The Youths Companion" which all the children
The addition on the left was added in 1913 for Gandma Jackson.
Photo of Louis and Isabell, 1926
In Graham County Mr. Quint served in various offices in
Millbrook Township, and was assessor for the township for several
years. He was always a member of Highland School District #78 as
long as he had children in school, and always had time to work
for the best teachers they could hire. He was always ready to
help his daughters acquire teaching certificates and apply for
schools for the coming term. All six of their daughters followed
the tradition of the family by teaching school. The two sons
became farmers, as did their sons. Mr. and Mrs. Quint's example
and teaching regarding honesty, fairness and dependability are
lessons that made a lasting impression on the minds of their
In 1924 Mr. & Mrs. Quint moved into Hill City in their
North 5th Street. Here they set out a number of peach trees and
for several years reaped a good harvest from these trees.
Photo of L.F. Quint home in Hill City.
In reviewing the roots of the Quint family, the first
mentioned is Thomas Quint, taxed in Greenland, New Hampshire
August 25, 1684. His son, John Quint, born about 1683, taxed in
Greenland, New Hampshire in 1708, is credited with building the
Newington, New Hampshire meeting house finished about 1712. This
building is still in excellent repair and today is the oldest
Congregational Church in America in continuous use. (Church was
visited in 1970, to see story on Church-1699 New Hamp.click here.)
For Ray Parsons' home page and related stories use your "BACK button".
Send mail to Ray Parsons by clicking here.