Resume of Life of Omer G. Sharp

January 8, 1883 - about 1975

Story by Omer G. Sharp, written January 29, 1970

I was born January 8, 1883 in Ontario Canada, near Alymer. My father's name Wellington. Mother's name Susanna. My folks were farmers, in early nineties they moved to central Michigan, about 3 miles west of Gladwain, and were on this farm until about 1895. It was here that I spent my early boy-hood days. During this time my brother, Arnold, was born on December 25, 1888, and brother Floyd was born on April 26, 1894. Both are living.

In about 1895 we moved to a farm in more central Michigan, about 1 mile from Belding, noted for silk production. Russell, youngest brother, was born here, September 18, 1896. He passed away in 1964 in Milpibas, California.

From there we moved to a farm about 3 miles out of Bay City, Michigan, as near as I can recall, about 1900. Later my folks gave up farming and moved into Bay City. It was while on this farm that I met my first wife - we both were 18 and soon discovered we were much in love, but did not get married until we were 21. My schooling was some what limited, however, my folks had me take a business college course in Bay City, which started me on way to accounting work.

My father passed away, as near as I can remember, 1903. Mother lived to be 87 - she passed away in 1945.

While my wife and I lived in Bay City, until 1912, my son Nelson, was born February 22, 1905, the second son, Lloyd was born August 16,1910. In May 1912 we moved to Portland, Oregon, my home since that time. A daughter, Leita Jane, was born December 26, 1913.

My first wife, Anna, passed away on October 11, 1944. I married again on January 17, 1946 - the ladies name, Bertha Shock, who had lost her husband in 1936. Our families had been friends for years.

Bertha passed away August 16, 1968, after several years of illness. Due to illness we had moved into Terwilliger Plaza, in August 1965. Bertha was born July 3, 1880. It was just past her 87th birthday that she passed away.
My family at present time consists of my son, Lloyd and his wife, Barbara, living in Oyster Bay, NY. They have a son Stanley and daughter, Sandy Sue. Stanley is a practicing attorney here in Portland, has a very fine wife, Neta, - they have 3 children. Sandy Sue is single - had a position with North West Airlines as reservation clerk - she is 22.

Photo of Lloyd, Stan, Omer, with Kelly and Mark in front

Leita Jane, now Mrs. Wesley T. Ranck, living about 7 miles out of Bremerton, Washington - her second marriage -, had as son Jack, born on April 24, 1935 in first marriage. He is married, happily, wife's name Evelyn. They have 3 boys.

My oldest son, Nelson, passed away August 29, 1951.
During my years of activity I did quite well with my accounting knowledge - for several years did what is termed semi- public accounting, taking care of several sets of books - for as many as 10 or 12 firms at a time. My last 15 or more years were with a large machinery concern here in Portland, as an accountant. I continued this association until I retired in 1965 at age of 72. During the last 30 or some years I dabbled a little in real estate, helping to add to my savings. I consider myself very fortunate in being situated as I am, having good health and sufficient resources to go on.

Additional Information was sent to Philip G. Parsons on March 6, 1970 in the following letter:

As to a little outline of my experience. While in Bay City most of my accounting experience wa with a wholesale grocery concern. Upon arrival in Portland I wa snot able at first to make the kind of connection I was seeking until the third try when I was employed with a real estate setup, which turned out to be a very interesting experience for me. They had 3 parent corporations and some sixteen subsidiaries - a corporation for each tract or addition they were putting on the market. This gave me some very good accounting experience. I went with this concern about the first of January, 1913, just about the time income tax was started. Making out tax returns for all companies was quite a task. However, the requirements and forms were quite different from today's. This connection lasted until along about 1920. From that time on most of my experience was bookkeeping and accounting work for different concerns - some public accounting for a CPA. And later on, and until about 1944 when I lost my first wife, I did what is termed semi-public accounting - having several concern's bookkeeping to handle. In 1947, next year after Bertha and I were married, I took over the accounting for a large machinery concern, Balzer Machinery Co., and was with them until I retired. A matter of fact I did some special work for them after my retirement.

My trip back East,(fall of 1969) and to Florida, was a wonderful experience. It is difficult to explain how extensive, and how fabulous, all this space operation is. Some of the highlights, however, is the Cape Kennedy set-up - some 25 square miles, 4000 acres, with a building for every specific purpose. The most imposing one is the assembly building which covers some 8 acres and stand some 525 feet high. This building, where the final assembling of Apollos takes place, is 3 1/2 miles from the launching pad. The moving of the assembly from building to launching pad is accomplished with a crawler type tractor, weighing some 6,000,000 pounds and so mammoth it will cover a football field. The Apollo weight, in addition to tractor is about 17,000,000 pounds, including the assembly base 6,000,600 pounds, and of course is much more when fuel is added after being placed on the launching pad. They can only move at rate of 1 mile per hour - taking about 3.5 hours to get from building to platform.

Lloyd, of course, had passes for car and ourselves, and by getting in early had a front row line of cars, 3.5 miles from launch pad, as near as anyone is allowed. The takeoff was spectacular, but was not what it might have been if they didn't have the low overcast. The thunderous sound on take-off might be compared with an earthquake roar, but all overhead - no ground vibration.

Our trip from Oyster Bay to Florida and back was interesting, too, and I enjoyed my stay with the folks until I flew back to Portland, leaving NY at 9:30 am on a non-stop flight to Seattle, and, only had to wait about 15 minutes for my Portland flight - arrived in Portland about 1:30 pm. My rail trip over via C P was very fine and interesting. Left Vancouver 7:30 pm Friday and arrive in Montreal just after 11 pm the following MOnday. Left Montreal following morning and was met by Lloyd and Barbara in Albany. NY. From there we drove thru Vermont, New Hampshire and Connecticut, taking 3 days to get back to Oyster Bay. The second night we stayed with Barbara's sister and family in Simsbury, Connecticut.

For Ray Parsons' home page and related stories use your "BACK button".

Send mail to Ray Parsons by clicking here.